What we do
The idea behind Cities for Children (CfC) is to recognize and support the specific needs of children in urban areas, particularly in the two realms of child protection and education. We prioritise the needs of:
- Children on the move including those from migrant, refugee and displaced communities.
- Children at risk particularly those affected by violence and insecurity.
Working on the basis of local partnerships, we help build the capacity of organizations to design programs with measurable outcomes in our intertwined strands of work.
- The Right to Read strand supports non-formal education and the provision of useful skills.
- The Right to Play strand involves creating structured recreation programmes, with activities designed to complement each other.
- The Right to Feel Safe strand creates capacity building programmes to help partner staff offer psychosocial support in their everyday work.
All three programmatic strands reinforce each other, to help us create holistic programs for child development, well-being and resilience.
Our work helps promote the integration of marginalised, vulnerable young people, and bridge social gaps through community volunteer programmes. In the long term, our programmes aim to promote positive mental health and resilience for young people, and also to contribute to better education outcomes through increased participation, learning, attendance and retention in schools.
At CfC, we believe in helping those who are doing good, to do even better.
It’s tough working with children in cities, and formal organizations don’t always support work with mobile communities. We partner with organisations that provide services to children who fall through the cracks, no matter the circumstances.
- Carefully vet and choose partners who are already doing a great job working with children. These could include non-formal schools as well as shelter homes and drop-in centres for street-connected children.
- Assess gaps according to our three strands of work.
- Create and structure critical connections. We believe in the power of collaboration, and in pulling together expertise and creative energy of incredible people around us. These include volunteer networks as well as trusted teams of mental health professionals.
- Follow up to ensure that our partners provide spaces where children exposed to the streets can learn, play, grow and dream.